Home

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Mixture before it sets overnight

I love fresh smelling clean clothes, but loathe spending tons of money $$$$ on laundry detergent. I'd rather use that money for lard, chicken thighs, chocolate, coffee, cookbooks, etc.... My friend passed along this recipe for homemade laundry detergent that she has been making for a couple of years. I finally broke down and bought the three (3) ingredients needed, already had a five (5) gallon pail and I was on my way. It took me all of 20 minutes and has lasted just over three months. Yes, that is right, I have not had to buy laundry soap for over three months. Glory!!! Now on my second pail I will not have to think about making another batch until April. One of the ingredients called for is 20 Mule Team Borax. Do you know that you can use this not only for your clothes, but to clean you kitchen and bathroom? One product that can multitask! After the mixture sets up it will be a mix between snotty and watery looking which is fine, just give it a stir once in a while. I keep my pail next to the dryer and use a 1/2 cup per load of wash. Our clothes are coming out clean, really how dirty do you get on any given day? Our boys have come home covered from head to toe with mud and the clothes have come out clean. I use a stain remover as needed for those greasy stains. If you can boil water and grate cheese then you can make this and save a ton of money. It cost me just under $15.00 not including the pail. It is so worth it and your house smells good while it is cooking away on the stove. I use my regular stock pot, wash & rinse well. My sister and dad are now making this as well. You can find this recipe pretty much all over the Internet. Thanks KP for a great money saving recipe.

Proverbs 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her task.
Proverbs 31:27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. I have decided to make things that we use a lot of and is far more economical than purchasing. Laundry soap and liquid hand soap are a good start. Making homemade vanilla is next on the list.

Homemade laundry detergent-


Ingredients-

1 bar of Fels-Naptha Soap (buy 3 & you will have enough for 4 batches-using the leftover thirds of each bar to make a batch of soap)
1 box Mule Team Borax                                                                                   
1 box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Directions-

Grate two thirds of the bar of soap in a large stock pot (just as if you were grating cheese) and add 12 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until all the soap is dissolved. Then add 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I let the mixture cool for about 15 minutes and then pour into the five gallon pail. Fill you stock pot up with water and dump into the pail with the soap mixture. Continue filling up your pail until it's just about to the rim. I leave about 1" space. Let stand overnight. Give it a stir in the morning and cover. You are now ready to wash your clothes.


Clean Well, Sonya