Home

Friday, March 2, 2012

Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints

Today is my Mother-in-law's birthday and these were one of her favorite cookies. I made a batch in honor of her special day. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across the recipe in her Land-O-Lakes cookbook www.landolakes.com. One of her favorite recipes sitting quietly amongst her recipe books and I opened right to the page. I just knew I had to make them for her birthday.  Anyone who tries these cookies for the first time gets hooked. Why would you not love a cookie that has a buttery base and filled with sweet jam the color of jewels? The pretty drizzled glaze on top seals the deal. These are so darn good you may have to call the cookie police!! My Aunt and I have been putting them our Christmas cookie trays for the past few years. They freeze very well, so if your making them you might as well make a double batch and freeze some. I think they make perfect cookie gift bags all decked out with fancy ribbons that you could give to teachers, as a hostess gift,  a thank you or thinking of you, hope your feeling better gift, for just about any occasion or anyone. The ingredient list is small and not very expensive, many times you can find coupons in the Sunday paper for the Raspberry Jam. Since our oldest son loves Raspberry jam, I like to buy it at a wholesale store and have on hand for toast, peanut butter & jelly, bagels and of course these cookies. Whip up a batch today and I know you'll find yourself in love!

With Easter fast approaching I thought I would share the Easter story with you over the next six weeks- Roman Soldiers mocking Jesus- Matthew 27:27-31 Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and they twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. "Hail, king of the Jews!" they said. They spit on him and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

As I was reading this and typing I started to wonder, am I much different than those soldiers mocking Jesus. In what ways quietly, or loudly, in private or openly do I mock Jesus?



Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints-

Ingredients- Cookies

1 cup butter softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup raspberry jam

Glaze-

1 cup powered sugar
2-3 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

Directions-

Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low, add the flour. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (I never refrigerate the dough and they come out beautiful)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape into 1" balls and place 2" apart onto un-greased cookie sheets. Make an indentation in center of each cookie with your thumb (hence the name), the edges may crack slightly and fill each with about 1/4 tsp or so of jam. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until the edges are just
lightly browned. Let stand on cookie sheet for about a minute before removing.

Cool completely before drizzling with the glaze. Once the glaze has set, you can layer between wax paper and freeze in freezer bags, place in bags to give away or fill you own cookie jar!!!

Eat Well, Sonya