Home

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homemade Pancake Syrup

Yes, this is homemade pancake syrup and no it is not made with maple syrup that you tap from the trees. However, this does taste far better than the stuff you buy at the grocery store with corn syrup & or high fructose syrup. Other than homemade marshmallows and pecan pie I really try to eliminate as much of those syrups as possible. I came across this recipe in the first Tightwad Gazette book and have been making it for the last 14 years. Pure maple syrup is very expensive, running about $60.00 a gallon in our area, that's a weeks worth of gas $$$ for me. This is great to have on hand, is easy to make and you can use it in between those splurges of maple syrup, or if you receive it as a gift! I have used it in baking and cooking recipes and have yield very good results. I also see it as one less thing to purchase at the store and I recycle jars that I already have on hand. I am relieved to know that if we run out syrup we are just minutes away from a batch.

Easter story continued-Matthew 27:45-50 From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice. "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"-which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" When some of those standing there heard his, they said, "He is calling Elijah." Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. The rest said, "Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to save him." And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit

Homemade Pancake Syrup-


Ingredients-


3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons butter flavoring or extract
3 teaspoons maple extract or flavoring


Directions-

Bring all to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves (a good rolling boil). Turn off burner, but leave pot on the burner until bubbling stops and cool completely. Store in a clean jar. 
This make 1 quart. 


Eat Well, Sonya