Home

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

French Onion Soup

Is is not wonderful how the humbleness of a vegetable, the onion, can turn into an amazingly delicious soup. French onion soup is one of my favorites. I love that it only requires just a few ingredients for a whole pot of goodness. When there is only onions, bread & cheese, make soup I say! My Aunt use to make this for me when I would visit her. I can remember to this day the little crocks she served it in and how quickly a warm and delicious dinner came together. A meal shared at her table in the kitchen in what I thought was "The Big City!" To this day, I always check out the menu when at a restaurant, looking for French Onion Soup. I seem to want to try it every where I go, just to see if it measures up to what I had with my Aunt. There are tons of variations, but I pretty much stick to her recipe and tweak it just a bit combining ingredients from a cookbook my sister bought me, "The French Country Table," simple recipes for bistro classics by Laura Washburn. Her fresh fruit tart is amazing and most of her recipes require a small list of ingredients. Classic country French food and rustic Italian is what I love. A little of her and me. I usually make a pot of this soup, laddle into the soup crocks, top with toasted french bread, some cheese and place under the broiler for a few minutes. However, may I suggest that if you are using your oven for other things and have some room, by all means, throw a pan of onions in and let them roast until soft and slightly brown. You can cool them, refrigerate and be well on your way to dinner for the next day. This is also great for a get together with many guests, you can easily double the recipe, toast your bread slices, place them on the broiler pan, top with cheese and melt for a few minutes. Each guest can laddle their own soup and top with the cheesy bread slices. I was beyond thrilled when a friend surprised me with these soup crocks. I just love them. I could easily find myself making a collection of soup crocks. Since my family is not big on onions, the four I have make the perfection collection. 

Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me all you who are weary and burden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. 

The days when I feel heavy hearted & filled with burdens of one thing or another, I seem to forget that if I release them to God, I find peace and a lightness that only He can lift from me. I must not forget that He only is my source of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulless, kindness & self-control.


French Onion Soup -

Ingredients-

3 cups sliced onions ( I use a combination of regular & sweet) large just about 3 pounds
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 Tablespoon flour
2 cans (10 1/2 oz) beef broth (use the one with no msg & low sodium)
1 1/2-2 cups red wine
1 teaspoons worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
2 springs of thyme

1 loaf of french bread sliced 
1 1/2 cups grated cheese, Swiss, Gruyere, Pravalone, Mozarella or a mix

Directions-

Saute the onions in butter and olive oil for about 30 minutes on low heat. Add the garlic and flour stirring for about 1 minute. Add the stock and wine, bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt & pepper, bring to a boil for about 20-30 minutes. Before serving, preheat the broiler. Put the french bread slices on baking sheet and broiler till just lightly brown. Leave broiler on. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls and top with a few slices of toasted bread. Sprinkle generously with cheese and cook under the broiler till cheese is melted and bubbly..

Eat Well, Sonya