Home

Monday, October 17, 2011

Raspberry Coffee Cake

October is breast cancer awareness month, and in honor of my Mother-in-law, Jean, I made this raspberry coffee cake. I remember a Christmas day when my Sister-in-law and her made this together. It was delicious and I've loved it ever since. One bite and I remembered just how darn good it is. There is just something about coffee cake! The cake is light, and the raspberry filling with confectioners' glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness. You can have it ready in just about 30 minutes and it's perfect for that afternoon coffee break.

My Mother-in-law was kind, gracious and very giving woman. She loved her family, the lake and NYC. For me she lived Ephesians 5:9-consisting of goodness, righteousness and truth. Also Titus 2:3-teaching women to love their families and to be busy at home.  She taught me many things as I observed her life, such as keeping the house quiet while someone is sleeping, and just "let them sleep themselves out". A faithful servant at her local church she gave above & beyond, not just 1 Samaritan box but several. A  Christmas tree would go up every Christmas at church and she would collect warm clothing, decorate the tree with it, then  donate it to the local Rescue Mission. She gave a homeless man on her New York street, coffee and doughnuts, when there was a need she met it. "Real" cream for coffee she would say, and you can never have enough food at a gathering. Birthdays are a celebration no matter the age! Holiday traditions are important to pass on, as with setting a pretty table whether having a picnic or an elaborate meal. Jean had a card for every occasion, an area that I fall behind in, but my Sister-in-law excels in. I find myself doing many of these things in my life today. Jean was a Godly example to family, neighbors and her community. We are daily witnesses to people around us, what do they see in you?

Raspberry Coffee Cake
Cake-
3 oz cream cheese-softened
4 tablespoons butter-softened
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/3 cup milk

Filling-
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam

Glaze-
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk

Directions
Using a pastry blender or fork cut the cream cheese, butter and Bisquick until it resembles small peas. Blend in the milk and mix. Dough will be on the wet side. Turn onto a floured board and knead a few times. Place on wax paper and roll out to a 12x8" rectangle. Turn over onto a greased baking sheet, remove the wax paper. Spread the raspberry jam down the middle of the rectangle. Make 2 1/2" long cuts at 1" inch intervals down both sides of the dough, folding each slit toward the center. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. Just till golden brown. Cool. Combine the glaze ingredients mixing until smooth and drizzle over the coffee cake. To serve I cut down the middle and then across separating each cut.

Double the recipe and pass one on.

Eat Well, Sonya