Home

Monday, October 24, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomato Soup

                                                                                                  
I have been on a quest for the best recipe for homemade tomato soup that my family approves of. Too many times the recipe calls for onions, celery, garlic, carrots, a little of this and that, and it seems they overpower the taste of the tomatoes. I needed a soup that was smooth & creamy. While reading www.injennieskitchen.com/  I came across this recipe. With the short list of ingredients, most of which I had on hand, including canned whole peeled tomatoes, it was placed on the top of my "To Do" list. I love the fact that it calls for canned tomatoes. October is for apples not tomatoes. As I walked in our kitchen while the tomatoes were roasting I thought I was standing in a garden full of vine ripe tomatoes ready for the picking! I could not wait for the tomatoes to cool fast enough to put this soup together. Since my family likes their soup on the creamy side I added more cream. I have two more recipes marked to try, but after just a spoonful of this soup, it's a keeper!

Is not tomato soup with grilled cheese, macaroni & cheese, meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken & biscuits and apple pie, the comfort foods of all time? One bite of any of these dishes and my body just says "Thank You". It says in 2 Corinthians 1:3 that we have a God that comforts us in any trouble so that we can comfort someone else who is going through the same situation. Isn't it exciting to know that you may meet someone who went through what you are currently enduring, and they can offer words of encouragement and hope. "This too shall pass", I often hear echoing in my head, and with time it does, bringing more faith, strength and wisdom for next hurdle. An endless circle of giving comfort and receiving comfort. With your eyes and ears open, you may be a comfort to someone along the way. This person may become of friend of a lifetime. That's how I met one of my dearest friends. Thanking God above for a true treasure in the darkness!

This soup is worth keeping your pantry stocked with canned whole peeled tomatoes!

Slow Roasted Tomato Soup
Ingredients-
One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes (mine had basil added)
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
drizzle of olive oil, just about 2 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I had chicken broth in my pantry and used that)
1 1/2 cups reserved tomato juice
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used a pint)
croutons or crackers

Directions-

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil; set aside.

Drain tomatoes, saving the juices for the soup. Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper & brown sugar. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for one hour. Remove tray and cool for 10 minutes. 

Transfer cooled tomatoes to blender, add the stock and blend until smooth. Pour into a soup pot and heat until warm. Stir in the cream and warm for about a minute. Serve with croutons or crackers. I placed all my ingredients in a soup pot & used my immersion blender. This made enough for four with sandwiches, if you want leftovers, double the recipe.

Eat Well, Sonya