Home

Monday, November 28, 2011

Sheperd's Pie with Turkey

I hope that you had a Thanksgiving that left you completely stuffed, and your soul filled to the brim of joy, happiness and blessings. This year I was debating on what type of turkey I was going to cook. I thought about just doing two turkey breast or a rolled stuffed breast. I sure am glad that my husband suggested the same turkey we have every year! This way we will have leftovers for soup, turkey pot pie and maybe a turkey alfredo pizza. Who doesn't love Thanksgiving leftovers? As I was putting the carcass in a huge stockpot to cook down (don't forget to add a splash a white vinegar to the broth while cooking, it helps extract more calcium from the bones), I realized that I am pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner. Even with some of the new recipes I've tried I always seem to go back to the ones we've had year after year. You know it's just tradition! When the carcass was done cooking, broth cooled and all meat removed from the bones, we had enough for soup and I decided to make this sheperd's pie, a twist from my mom's original made with beef. This recipe is pretty easy to put together, ingredients will depend on what you have on hand. I just had to make a new batch of mashed potatoes and some extra gravy. If you don't have either on hand I am sure you can find already mashed potatoes or gravy at your local supermarket. I love a huge pat of butter on the top of my pie that melts down the sides and makes a pool around the potatoes. A scoop of butter with every bite.
 
I love the account of the birth of Jesus and thought I would share a bit of the story over the next few weeks leading up to Christmas-Luke 2:1-5 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) Any everyone went to his own town to register. So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth to Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. he went there to register Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child....

If you have a box of Cheerios in your cabinet, I encourage you to take a look at the box, I know on our box (purchased at a wholesale club) had two sending cheer postcards. Cut them out, write a note of encouragement, Thanks or Christmas cheer. Place a stamp in the corner and place it in the mailbox. This will be sent to someone serving in our Military. A few minutes of your time could bring a smile and comfort to someone who is not home for the Holidays.

Sheperd's Pie with Turkey-
Ingredients-
4 cups leftover turkey cut into bite size pieces, or enough to fit in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish
4 cups turkey gravy-homemade or purchased
2 cans greens beans-drained
2 cans corn-drained
(I used beans & corn but feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand)
8 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed, cooked & mashed
salt, pepper

Directions-
Place the turkey in the bottom of a 13x9 pan and pour 3 cups of gravy of the turkey. Layer the beans then the corn. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. You can add a few pats of butter as well. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve this along with leftover stuffing, sweet potatoes & cranberry relish. Pass the extra gravy.

Eat Well, Sonya