Home

Monday, December 19, 2011

A New Addition & Triple Berrry Pie

Welcome a new addition to our family! She arrived on Friday, December 16th. She is absolutely beautiful and greets you with a pie, my son's favorite of course, Cherry. I might have some competition though, her pie crust looks perfect. My husband has named her Sue B. I saw a bear similar to this on a road trip one day and was telling my friend about her. I thought it would be so cool to have a bear greeting you at our door with a pie. I'm all about pie you know! (Our Sue B is way cooler!!!) This was my Christmas gift from her to me, to cross off my bucket list and to move forward. Do you have a bucket list? I never really thought about it until Friday. Yes, I guess I do have a bucket list. Somethings I keep to myself and other things I share. My husband has helped me cross things off my list. God has surrounded me with wonderful family and friends, and through them he continues to bless me and they too have helped with my bucket list. God enriches me daily with His one and only perfect gift, His Son, Jesus!

The Christmas Story continued-
Luke 2:16-20 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manager. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told. 


I wish you and your families a  Blessed Christmas and an amazing New Year. Thank you for reading my blog, for being an encouragement and a blessing in my life.
Triple Berry Pie-
Ingredients-
Your favorite pie dough for a double crust
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup  hulled sliced fresh strawberries 
34 cup fresh blackberries
3/4 cup fresh raspberries 
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
milk for brushing & coarse or regular sugar for sprinkling on the crust


I usually like to make this pie when fruit is fresh and in season, but the frozen mixed berries have worked really well. Just thaw them and proceed with the recipe. This is also my son's favorite, and we can eat this together with just forks in hand. Yummy!!!!

Directions-

Roll one crust in bottom of a 9" pie plate.


Combine sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Add the berries and gently toss with the sugar mixture until coated. Add the water and lemon juice and cook over medium heat just to the boiling point. Stir often.


Pour filling into crust and dot with butter.


Roll out top crust and place on the top of the filling, or you can cut strips and do a lattice pattern. I just cut out some leaves and placed them randomly on the top of the berries. If you place a top crust, make sure to cut vents in the middle to let steam out. Crimp you edges and lightly brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. 


Have oven preheated to 350 degrees. Bake the pie until the berries bubble and the crust is golden brown about 45 minutes. Cool completely.


Eat Well, Sonya