Home

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lemon Slice and Bakes

These are my new favorite cookie and I can't get enough of them. I have made batch after batch since Thanksgiving and have a stash in my freezer. I just pull a few out to go with with my coffee or just because.  A melt in your mouth shortbread with a hint of lemon. They have a lemony glaze and I sprinkled them with silver sugar for the Holiday season. You can easily leave the dusting of sugar off or change it. My sister & her friend made Butterscotch Blondie bars with peanut-pretzel caramel-amazing!! I love salty & sweet. Both recipes came from the December issue of Bon Appetite' www.bonappetit.com. How can I refuse making them when they look so beautiful in the magazine? I am a sucker for photos of gorgeous food or home decorating. I think I buy my cookbooks based on the photos alone. I just can't help myself. As I was making up our cookie tray and in the hustle & bustle of prepping for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I was again thinking of the cookie list for next year, the gifts I want to make, the stocking stuffer's, menu planning and holiday decorating. I'm bad like that, enjoying the season now and already thinking and planning for the next! These cookies are great for any occasion, they double and freeze well.

I wish everyone a very happy and safe New Year's, I already have a cake idea for this New Year's celebration! I encourage you to keep a journal and keep entries of the many blessings God gives you and even the trials you go through. At the end of 2012, you will be amazed at what he has done for you. I am not much of a New Year's resolution girl. I am a list girl! I love making list, reading list, & get so much joy from scratching that one thing off my list. I have a journal for blessings & trials and one for my never ending lists, the bucket list, music, places to go, gift ideas, menu ideas, recipes to try, cookbooks and more cookbooks, home & garden, just about anything list!!!!! This year I will be trying to focus on Galatians 5:22 & 23 but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. With God's grace and strength I can have more love, joy in the life, peace about so many things, even in the trials, patience, patience, patience, show more kindness, do good to others, be more faithful in my walk, be gentle and have self-control. What will you be focusing on?

Lemon Slice and Bakes-
Ingredients-
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (could change our for lemon and make them extra lemony)
4 large egg yolks

Icing-
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
sanding sugar
food coloring (optional) if you want to color your glaze. I left mine white

Directions-
Cookies-
Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat butter, sugar and lemon zest and vanilla in a large bowl, occasionally scraping down sides, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks; beat just to blend. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture and beat, occasionally scraping down sides, just to blend. Divide dough in half; roll each half into a 10" long log about 1 3/4' inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 1 hour. Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Arrange racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap 1 dough log. Using a sharp, lightly floured knife, cut log into 1/4" thick rounds. Transfer to prepared sheets, spacing 1" apart. Bake until cookies are firm and golden brown just around the edges. Cool for 1 minute on sheet and transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough log.

Icing-
Whisk sugar and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice in small bowl, adding more juice by 1/2 teaspoonfuls if too thick. Add coloring if desired. Spread or drizzle icing over cookies. Decorate as you wish. Let stand until icing sets, about 10 minutes or so. Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

Eat Well, Sonya