Home

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Luscious Lemon Bars

Oh luscious lemon bars, how can you not adore these or pass them up when at a party, unless of course, you do not like lemon! I love lemon desserts and more on the tart side than sweet. The cool, tart, light and semi sweet filling cuts through those heavy or spicy meals. We always had a lemon meringue pie for Thanksgiving & Easter dinners. They are perfect for that Superbowl buffet or the ending to a Mexican meal. Tacos anyone??? My family does not care for lemon desserts unless I am making lemon slice cookies, so when asked to make these for a friend's wine & appetizer party, I was thrilled. This recipe comes from one of my dearest friends who is amazing baker herself. Not only does she pass along delicious recipes, but blesses me with a friendship that is beyond what I could ever imagine. Her love for God and her faith & family is Who she is. I am so thankful that God has placed her in my life, she sets the bar of which helps me to continue to grow in my faith! She makes an awesome apple cake that now has become a standard for our Thanksgiving dessert menu. I am so glad that this is one recipe she put in the church cookbook. One thing about church cookbooks, or school PTO cookbooks and such, the recipes are tried & true. Family favorites. The recipe is uncomplicated, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. If bringing to a party, you can cut into small squares, then cut those squares on the diagonal and place in paper cupcake liners, perfect for bite size desserts. When I heard many people oohing and going back for more and commenting on how delicious these bars were, and have you tried these lemon bars yet?, they are delicious, I only had to smile and quietly thank a friend for another yummy dessert!!

Romans 12:9-13 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.


Luscious Lemon Bars-

Ingredients-

1 cup flour
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup confectioner's 10x sugar
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind ( I used the rind from the whole lemon)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (I used the juice from the whole lemon)
3 oz cream cheese, softened
confectioner's sugar for dusting

Directions-

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease the bottom of an 8" square pan.

For the crust- mix flour, butter & 1/2 cup of the confectioner's sugar until fine crumbs form. Using a drinking glass, press the crumbs evenly into the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.

While the crust is baking make the filling- Beat eggs, granulated sugar & salt until light and fluffy. Add the lemon rind, lemon juice. Blend in the cream cheese. When crust is done remove from oven and pour the filling over the hot crust. Return to oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until the center is firm when touched. Cool completely before dusting with the confectioner's sugar.

When cool dust liberally with confectioner's sugar. Cut into equal squares. If bringing to a party you can cut into smaller squares and then cut them on the diagonal, place in paper cupcake liners. From this 8" square pan I had well over 20 bite size dessert bars.