Home

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pantry Cookies

I wanted to make a batch of cookies on Saturday and did not have a full bag of chocolate chips. So, I resorted to "create what you can with what you have" mode. I have this fetish about saving scraps of all sorts of food items for future dishes. Sometimes our freezer looks like a food junk yard! For example, leftover veggies in one bag can be added to soups, stews or meat pies. Since composting is not all that possible in the middle of February, all veggie peels from carrots, onions, celery tops that aren't used, garlic, onions, etc., go in a bread bag and when filled becomes the makings of a great vegetable broth. All the end pieces from bread and rolls go in another bag and later become bread crumbs or cubes for stuffing. I rinse out our ketchup bottles and save the juice, this I add to vegetable soups, stews or sauces. Poultry scrapes in one bag and beef scrapes in another. It's amazing that all this adds up to some great stocks, soups & stews. Don't forget those cookies, they can be ground up for pie crust. I also save leftover candy from Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's day, etc., and that brings me to my cookies. I have a basic chocolate chip cookie dough that I use from www.annieseats.com. I dumped whatever I had in the pantry to make 2 cups of chocolate. I used white chocolate chips, chopped up a chocolate rice crispy bar along with a plain chocolate candy bar. My family is not big on nuts in cookies so I left them out and add an extra handful of chocolate pieces. They were "The Beast" as kids lingo goes for something that taste awesome!!! I love the challenge of looking at our food junk yard and creating something absolutely delicious for my family & friends. It's recycling at it's best....What scrapes await you to turn them into something yummy?

1 Corinthians 13:6-8 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Pantry Cookies-

Ingredients-

2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups assorted chocolate pieces, candy, etc.
1/2 cup nuts or assorted nuts

Directions-

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk dry ingredients together. Beat the melted butter and sugars together and then add eggs & vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients and combine. Mix in your assorted chocolate goodies and nuts if using.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 11-15 minutes. Just till the edges are lightly brown.

Cool and enjoy your pantry creation!

Eat Well, Sonya