Home

Monday, January 2, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

I hope that everyone had a wonderful New Year's. Champagne Toast to all!!

I love Mexican food, tacos, Sopa de Albondigas, it's those tiny meatballs that get me every time, taco salad, taco dip, guacamole, salsa, Tres leches cake, creamy flan, margaritas, but I especially love enchiladas. The soft shells that hold that wonderful bean & taco meat filling together and the delicious creamy sauce that covers them like a blanket. When I know that my Aunt is making them, I eat very little that day so that I can gorge myself, yes, gorge myself on them. My family is not big on enchiladas so I look forward to having these. My once a year treat around New Year's Eve. I can eat at least three of them with a side of taco fixings and a big scoop of tortilla chips. They make great entertaining food. You can assemble them ahead, refrigerate, clean up any mess and then pop in the oven just before your guest arrive. While the enchiladas are baking you will have plenty of time to visit, and to munch on some appetizers, you'll need to save room for the main course though. Let the pan rest for 10 minutes, which is perfect to refill those drinks and put the finishing touches on your table. Dinner's ready and you can enjoy with lots of sides. What's even better is I get to take some home for breakfast the next morning! Yes breakfast, our mother raised us that anything is good for breakfast, not just cereal & eggs. Many times soup, stew, pizza and egg salad sandwiches have made a great start to the day. How can I have a bowl of cereal when those enchiladas are beckoning me???


2012 is here and it's going to be amazing! It just has to be for it says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. I am excited to see where God takes our family this year and to journal the adventure. I look forward to seeing doors and windows open & close. Where he leads us, not sure, where my job is going to be, not sure. I do know that 2012 will  bring laughter, joy, happiness, tears, sorrow, but God already has the plan, ways to prosper us, hope above all hope and a future for us, this gives me all the encouragement I need. 


Enchilada Casserole-

Ingredients-

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16oz can refried beans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons oil
12 corn tortillas
2 Tomatoes peeled & chopped or 1 can diced tomatoes-drained
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 cups whole milk (tastes much creamier than lower fat versions)
1 10oz jar mild enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup sliced black olives or 1 small can already sliced black olives

For sides, shredded lettuce, onions, peppers, extra tomatoes, sour cream and tortilla chips for scooping.


Directions

Cook beef & onion until beef is cooked through and onion is soft. Drain. Stir in the refried beans, salt & pepper. Set aside.

Heat oil and fry shells till soft a few seconds on each side.

Place 1/3 cup meat mixture on each shell, top with tomatoes. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13x9 pan. Fitting them snuggly in.

Melt the butter, stir in the flour, salt and paprika. Add the milk and the enchilada sauce. Stirring till combined. Stir in the cheese and olives and stir till the cheese is nicely meltd. 

Pour over the shells and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for about 10 minutes. Using a spatula is the best way to remove each enchiladas. 

Pass along the sides and enjoy with a great margarita!!!


Eat Well, Sonya