Home

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lentil Soup


I just love soup. I could probably eat it everyday and never tire of it. Lentil soup is one of my favorites. My family is not big on lentils, so I took advantage of some quiet time on Saturday and made myself a big pot of soup. When you are nursing a chest cold, soup is always the best medicine. Lentil soup is quite easy and healthy for you. They are packed with protein, iron, fiber, they stabilize your blood sugar and are heart healthy. If you are unsure how to cook them, there is always a recipe on the back of the bag. The recipe I used came from another great book, Lunch in Paris, A Love Story with Recipes. An American journalist writes about blending her culture with that of her husbands, the man she falls in love with over lunch, in Paris. There are great recipes that follow each chapter. I just love books like this. It's the hopeless romantic in me! Once finished with the book, I was able to continue following the adventures of Lunch in Paris at www.elizabethbard.com the birth of their son and the post of how they stumbled upon their home and it's history, is just, how can I say it, just romantic. Why not pick up a bag and make yourself a bowl of goodness?

The greatest love story I have read is The Bible. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Lentil Soup-

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot-peeled & chopped
1 medium onion-peeled & chopped
1 celery stalk with leaves-chopped
2 1/2 cup dried lentils (recipe calls for Puy lentils, but I always just use what is available at the store)
6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 cup dry white wine (use more water or broth if you don't have this on hand)
1 16oz can of chopped tomatoes ( I used a 28oz can with basil, garlic & oregano, reduce water to 2 cups)
1 bay leaf
fresh chopped parsley ( I did not have any on hand)

Directions-

In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion and celery. Saute' for 5-10 minutes, until the onion is translucent.

Add the lentils and stir to coat with the oil. Add the broth, tomatoes, water, wine and the bay leaf. Give a good grinding of pepper. Leave to simmer over low heat with the cover ajar until the lentils are tender about 45 minutes. 

You can puree the soup if you like, but I like mine just the way it is. Drizzle with extra olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This soup freezes well.


Eat Well, Sonya