Home

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pudding Chip Cookies

Who doesn't love a great chocolate chip cookie? I know I do. I'm not big on thin and crispy, but like them on the soft side. Believe me, there are a ton of recipes out there for just about any kind of chocolate chip cookie. Just pick up a bag of chocolate chips and you have a recipe on the back. My mom always used Nestle chocolate chips and the recipe on the bag. I mean always, she never ventured from what she said was a tried & true recipe. Unlike me who is always trying new recipes, until one day I was going through some old recipes and came across this pudding chip cookie recipe. Wow! do I remember making theses. My mom and I found this recipe on the box of Jello instant pudding and I made a batch for my baking project in Home Economics. I lost the recipe and wrote the jello company asking them for a copy. I remember being thrilled that they sent me a copy. I made them almost every week while in junior high and while I was a freshmen & sophomore. Why I stopped making them I don't know and shocked myself that it's been over 20 years since I made them. Did my life get so busy that I forget the little things I loved to to do? I was thrilled that I had all ingredients on hand and set out to make a batch. Yes, they were exactly as I remembered. Soft, gooey and with an extra hint of vanilla. Next to moms' these are the perfect cookie. No wonder I made them every week. While I was enjoying these little darlings, it quickly brought back all that was doing back them.  A junior high student adjusting to a whole new group of kids, changing classes, and trying to find my bus. Moving on to high school and adjusting to a larger building, more classes, more students and attending a new church, I also was falling in love....I am thrilled that God placed that recipe back in my hands, a little reminder of how recipes that we acquire and the memories that are associated with them are our history, our family tree. I have recipes from mom, dad's family, my husband's family, grandma, aunts, sisters & brothers, friends and even though my cookbook collection is never ending, these recipes are tried & true and link my past with the present. Let's not forget to make those family recipes no matter the occasion or do the things we love.

Deuteronomy 11:18-20 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands, and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates. One thing I love to do is go to church with our boys and share our faith and family history with them. They are learning daily about faith in God, their family history and one day will be passing it on to the next generation.

Pudding Chip Cookies-


Ingredients-

2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup butter softened
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 pkg. (4oz) Jello instant pudding & pie filling, vanilla or french vanilla (use the small box)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 pkg. (12oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts-optional

Directions-

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the flour and baking soda set aside.

Cream the butter, sugar, brown sugar and pudding mix till creamy. Add vanilla and eggs mixing well.

Add in the flour mixture to combine, stir in the chips and the nuts. Batter will be stiff.

Drop on ungreased cookie sheets by rounded teaspoonfuls. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just till the edges are brown and the center is just about set. Let cool on sheet for about a minute. Makes about 3 dozen.

Eat Well, Sonya